Tuesday 1 September 2009

Use fewer words

I read a very funny quote in The Fall and Rise of Reginald Perrin last week: "Never use several words when one will do. That's my motto, that's my axiom, that's what I always say".

Comedy word-play aside, it's good advice for the web. Fewer words is almost always better. Don't say: "There is no doubt that the vast majority of parents care about their children and what happens to them at school". Change it to: "No doubt most parents care about what happens to their children at school". The important bit of the message is still the same.

The fewer words you write, the more chance the reader will read every one. If you tempt readers to skip words, they may miss your important message.

If you're having trouble putting this into practice, let me know.

No comments:

Post a Comment